Cecelia Gavigan (sí/í)
Primary school teacher with 13 years experience, MSc in Equality Studies and member of INTO LGBT+ Teachers' Group for 10 years.
Talks covered by this speaker
Primary Education in 2022
Categories covered by Cecelia
About this Speaker
Cecelia Gavigan is a primary school teacher with 13 years experience teaching in a vibrant and diverse DEIS 1 school in Balbriggan in North County Dublin. She completed a Masters in Equality Studies in UCD in 2013 and since then has been an advocate for equality/equity in the primary school system.
She has contributed to many advisory committees and resource development initiatives including:
- Stand Up in the Workplace advisory group
- All Together Now advisory group
- Strengthening Practice in Intercultural Education in Primary Schools advisory group
- Trócaire development education advisory group
- Different Families Same Love teaching resource
- LGBT+ Inclusive Staffroom guidelines poster
- Qatar 2022: Fair or Foul (teaching resource exploring human rights in the context of sporting mega-events)
- Amnesty's Friendship Week materials (Theme: Refugees and Asylum Seekers)
- Show Racism the Red Card lesson resource (advisor)
- Unveiling Our Past: The Struggle for LGBT+ Rights in Ireland teaching resource
She also co-authored a book chapter with Rom Olusa entitled 'Representations of Africa: Irish NGOs, Media, and Educational Resources' in the book 'Challenging Perceptions of Africa in Schools: Critical Approaches to Global Justice Education' (2020) edited By Barbara O’Toole, Ebun Joseph and David Nyaluke.
She is an active member of the INTO LGBT+ Teachers' Group and currently serves as Policy and Public Relations Officer.